Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hawaii, our first real day

Hawaii, finally getting around to blogging about it. I don't know why this was so hard, but it's taken me forever. And most of this will be boring to you, because you weren't there and can't really feel and smell the magic of Hawaii. I will make these posts mostly just photos, so hopefully you enjoy!

After traveling all day Thursday (and I mean all day, I was ready to drop by the time we landed in Maui, and we still had to endure a 2 hour layover before flying over to the big island) so our first real day was Friday. We spent a couple hours on the beach, but it was a little chilly and windy so we decided to go exploring. It turned out to be the best thing to do on a day like this, because it rained on and off all day long.

This is a temple that was built to fulfill a prophecy of unity between the Hawaiian islands. We weren't able to go up to it, because they experienced an earthquake in 2006 (I think) and it is now too unstable for visitors to climb on. Corey is displaying his chagrin at this fact.


King Kamehameha was the man that unified the islands, so he's all over the island. I had a warped desire to check out the depth of detail in this statue (ie, what's under the loincloth?)


Corey is fascinated by trees, and this was truly an amazing tree.




Pololu Lookout. This was a beautiful spot, but very treacherous to go see. I declined the hike down because it was raining, and the path was slick mud by that time. Too bad the pictures don't do this sight justice, it was incredible!


See what I mean about treacherous?



Another look



Corey loves big trees, but I love strange, exotic plants. I couldn't get over these trees with exposed roots (I'm assuming). They looked like they could just walk away at any moment.


Cool looking cemetery, did I mention the big island is covered in volcanic rock? That's what these headstones are all made of, and it was a striking sight.



Keokea park, just another good place to watch the ocean.



Keokea park

0 comments: