Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hawaii, day 6

We were so sunburned!!! That day in the sun really did us in. I'm writing this on March 31st, and I'm just finishing with the peeling! We decided to check out some sights on the other side of the island, so we loaded up in the car again. One of the places we wanted to see was Waipio Valley (Valley of the Kings). Again, a pretty major 4wd only road to get down there, but the lookout was more promising than the green sands beach fiasco.

Just a taste of the island life, wouldn't it be strange to have a goat tied up at the front of your driveway?


Too bad for us, it looked beautiful down there but we didn't feel like dropping $100 to be driven down and back.



We're getting pretty good at the self taken pictures of ourselves.





Waipio Valley, so beautiful!



Another view, note the black sand beaches? Would've been cool to walk them, oh well.






We stopped at a botanical garden and there was a pretty waterfall we had to check out. Most of the following pictures are from this garden or the next. We found that the second garden was about 700 times better then the first one we stopped at, too bad we'd already spent the money for the first one. We'd have driven right past it had we known.







Animal, mineral, or vegetable? That's why I love exotic plants, they are so very foreign to what we are familiar with.


A tree with beautiful flowers growing out of it instead of branches, strange.



This reminded me of something you'd see on the ocean floor.





This tree had long needles about 6 feet up, then just stopped. I guess if it's lower trunk is defended, nothings getting up any further to harm it. Creepy.


Just trying for a little nibble...


Another tree with flowers growing out of it.






This trunk was about 8 feet long, and looked like a dragon, pretty cool we thought.



I planted hibiscus last fall, but somehow I doubt they'll look like this one.



Our first trip to Maui (4 years ago) taught us that this is a painted eucalyptus tree. Literally looks like someone painted random colors up and down the trunk.






I took this picture for Addie. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd paint my house purple too!




Beehive ginger plants. The little flowers growing out of them really look like bees coming in and out of the hive.



Chocolate Ginger plant, just a couple of the different ginger types we say.



Blue Hibiscus, isn't it beautiful?



More waterfalls



These flowers look like tiny flamingo heads



Scary guardian of the garden.



At the base of the garden, a beautiful place to watch the ocean.


Pretty rugged, waves crashing like crazy.


We wanted to see Hilo, the other major town on the island, so we pressed on. There are some hotels that were all the rage in the 30's, but now a bit rundown. But, their claim to fame is their banyan trees. There are all these trees that were planted or sponsored or something by a bunch of famous people, one of them Babe Ruth so Corey needed to see this. Walking through the park to get to Banyan Drive, as it was called, we saw this tree. I couldn't get all of the tree, and still keep Corey in focus, so you can imagine how immense this tree really is!



Here's Babe Ruth's tree.


I was pretty wiped out from all the driving and walking around without somehow to put my feet up, so I opted for not walking Banyan Drive with Corey. I waited at a park bench until I saw him swinging back around. I started walking to meet him, and glanced down at the name on this tree. I actually had to sing the Prophet song in my head to verify what I thought, because it was just so out of context for me! Pretty cool, huh?



Back at our hotel, realising that we didn't have any pictures of the grounds, or even a sunset, I got busy. We had 3 pools and 3 hot tubs to enjoy, and they were between the hotel and the beach, so we had plenty of water fun at our fingertips.


Finally, a Hawaiian sunset captured for us to enjoy on those cold winter nights when the sun sets at 3 in the afternoon, and we're too buried in our homes to even acknowledge it's passing.

0 comments: