Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hawaii, day 3

Day three, another busy day. We went out on a catamaran snorkel tour to the Captain Cook monument (the spot he was killed by islanders, I guess that merits a monument, don't you think?). Again, it was a cool, rainy day and we had the chance to back out of our reservations but opted to go for it. Best decision! The boat wasn't very crowded, no major sunburning, and great snorkeling. We booked this trip for during whale-watching season, so you get a few little tidbit pics that don't look like much unless you know what I was trying to get.

Here's the best tail picture I have of a whale we spotted on our little excursion.


Captain Cook monument, awesome snorkeling. We even saw an octopus, and watched it slither across the coral for some time.


On our way back, we saw some spinner dolphins, but didn't get much on film. I was one of the few up on the top deck and got an incredible show of a mama humpback with her calf about 20 yards away from our boat. One of our crew told me that is only her second time seeing a whale that close, and she's lived there for 3 years.


Pulling into the marina, again I was about the only one on top, and spotted a sea turtle.




These bushes lined the highway and just about everywhere else, and Corey just loved the vibrant colors. I don't know what they are called, but they're a much better sight than dirty snowbanks alongside our roads back home.



After docking and changing, we went shopping in Kona. Kona is the tourist spot, so parking is at a premium and walking all over town a must. After a couple hours of this, I was dying! I just needed somewhere to sit down, and was grateful just to find a public bathroom so I could sit! (pretty gross, but I'm pregnant so I can always use a bathroom)
Corey scoped out a little ice cream parlor, and I never turn down ice cream and a place to rest so I was pretty pleased. Please remember that I'd been swimming and boating, then walking around in the rain so this is a pretty rough picture :)



Our view while enjoying our little treat.



Posing with the marlin while loaded down with souvenirs.



On our way back, we stopped for some lighted pictures of the temple.
We got home around 8 and crashed!!! Too much fun for heavy-laden me.

0 comments: