Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Naughty baby

So this pregnancy has been harder on me than either of the previous, and I thought maybe that was because Max is so young, and I have to haul him around more than I should. I've been more uncomfortable than I ever remember, and it's been pretty hard. My last appointment, I asked my OB to check the position of the baby, but she said she wasn't sure what she was feeling. So, on Monday I went in for the first of my final vaginal exams and I didn't like the look on her face. She said I was dilated to about 1 1/2 cm, but she thought she felt the baby's butt. She did an ultrasound to confirm, and sure enough, our baby's breech.

Her first comment was that she doesn't deliver breech babies. Like I want to go through that. But I don't want to go through a c-section, either. Naughty baby!!! I'm a little ticked, I must admit. After what our weekend included, don't you think we should be cut a little slack? Not that I'm cursing the heavens or anything, but I'm ashamed to say that I am a little upset with this child. Can't I get a little cooperation? Does this mean that this is just the beginning of trouble this baby will give us?

My OB said that we have two options.

1) Try an ECV (external cephalic version) where she and one of her partners literally push and prod on my belly, trying to turn the baby around. She said that the booked success rates are about 50%, but she doesn't have much success. Thanks for the confidence builder.

2) C-section. My biggest fear. I've honestly never thought that I would have to consider going through this. And definitely not with a preschooler and a 19 month old.

I can't believe this. Only about 3% of babies are breech, and I can't believe that I'm lumped into this small percentage. Great, I've always wanted to be special. So I'm scheduled at 38 weeks (in 2 weeks) to do this procedure, and if it doesn't work I'll be cut open the week after. It's kind of a catch-22, because an EVC can send me into labor, or displace the placenta, or other possible complications where they would have to deliver me, so I need to be full term. But the longer we wait, the larger our baby will be and the less likely we are to have success at the turning. I've taken to elevating my hips , hoping that maybe gravity will be my friend. I've even read that you can shine a light at the pelvis and attract the baby downward. Then there's some sort of Chinese acupuncture technique where they burn some herb near your pinky toe to make the baby turn (who came up with this, and how is this common enough to be listed on several websites).

So, I ask for your prayers. I really don't want to go through surgery, and I don't feel much hope right now. My OB told me of a patient recently that came in the day before her surgery, and her baby had turned, so it's possible. But things just don't seem to work out like that for me. I'm sure all will be well, regardless of how this turns out. But I just need to get out of the dumps about this. What I really need is a good, sunny weekend with my family. No meetings, no church, just a few hours at the park and someone else changing some of the diapers. I'll pull out of this, but I just needed to vent. If any of you are still reading this, I'll apologize for going on and on and on. Maybe the next post will be more positive.

7 comments:

lindsy said...

aw man, go ahead and complain. that's not something to look forward to ... except that you do get a beautiful baby when it's all done. I hope that little baby does a flip-flop for you soon so you don't have to worry about it.

Jen I said...

Yeah, our breech baby is actually the naughty baby now that you mention it! I really didn't want to go through it either. It took stopping the pitocin and going through 40 minutes of debate to decide we were going to go for it, but it was intense. And it was scarier delivering him, especially when he wasn't as responsive as the first baby (but was fine by his second set of apgar scores). But that was also after having discussed the possiblity that I might have to have the worst of both worlds with my doctors and them telling me they would be willing to deliver breech. Butt first was actually preferred, but mine was feet first.

Anyway, I've NEVER wanted a c-section, and Ryan has never wanted me to have to have one either because it's major surgery (plus I just didn't want to have to recover from BOTH!), but really, if you do have to have a c-section, most everyone I know does just fine with them. So well, it actually makes me reconsider a little since my vaginal recoveries always suck.

Best of luck. It really is a little scary, I understand completely.

Jen I said...

Oh yeah, and they tried the ECV on me without any success either, and that was after there was plenty of extra space since the first one was already out. But maybe it will work! It's not really comfortable, but it's at least worth trying, right?

Lofgrens said...

Holy Hawaii!!!! I LOVE the big island. It is the only place I've been in Hawaii, but based on how much I loved it, it has to be the best of the hawaiian islands. Waipio valley is so awesome! Being very pregnant, you probably didn't go cliff jumping at south point huh? Maybe next time! Oh, Kona... Oh, Hilo! Loved the entire island!! I'm so jealous, but so glad you guys got to go - how fun.

Lofgrens said...

That comment was on the wrong post. I'm not very current with blogs since moving to the new house. So, I just read all these things after talking to you. And I do hope that all goes well with the ECV, and you and your "naughty baby" will be in our prayers! Hope you get our letter soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Marci,

It's Kristen Harris, Corey's friend Dave's Wife. I found your blog and I can't help but comment on this post! My 3rd baby was breech as well. They actually did the external munipulation and turned her and then she turned back! After that I looked into some other things and went to an acupuncturist! He put a tiny needle in each of my pinkie toes and it didn't even hurt! I went home and did some relaxation and visualization of her turning and she turned completely within an hour! She never turned back and I had her vaginally. It was my most smooth and fast birth! If you have any questions and don't think I'm a total nut feel free to email me.
kristenLharris@mac.com(all lowercase)

Best Wishes!

H. said...

I guess I'm a little behind on the blogs--sorry. And sorry about your baby being breech. You're right! You deserve a break right now! I hope you don't need it if you don't want it, but really planned C-sections aren't that bad. Out of my 3 deliveries, one being an unplanned C-Section, one being vaginal, and one being a planned C-Section, my planned C-section was the easiest BY FAR!! Good luck, Marci.