Saturday, October 3, 2009

Is this one really ours?

When Addie was born, the hospital was having a hard time drawing blood from her heel. They tried several times, and finally decided to take her to the nursery for this (I think we were making the nurse nervous after a few failed attempts). Corey's mom didn't like this and sent Corey to monitor this activity. She instructed him to not let Addie out of his sight, for fear of a baby switch. I kind of laughed at this, but the idea was planted.




When I was recovering in the hospital with Hudson, this thought came back full force. I was marveling over my beautiful boy, when I noticed a scratch on his face. Later that day, after getting him back from his circumcision, I started wondering... He was born looking exactly like Max, but was starting to lose that look. And his scratch was gone! I'll bet I searched his face for an hour or more, looking for an expression or something that would reassure me. I blame this on postpartum hormones.




Since then, I've stopped wondering.



Look at these two!! Think there's a little family resemblance?


Here's Max at about the same age, for comparison.

There are a few more things that have thrown me for a loop. Like the fact that Hudson really doesn't prefer his binky. Isn't it just a matter of giving him the binky, like his brother and sister? They loved loved loved theirs, right from the beginning. Not Hudson, he's just as happy chewing on his fist (please don't become a thumb sucker, please please!!).

And there's the fact that he's my first baby that would go to sleep by himself, just needed to be laid down in a swaddle (another first, the others never liked swaddling) and he would put himself to sleep.

Now, he's cut his first tooth. He's only 5 months old. This is the first time his individualism is making me nervous. Addie and Max both got their first tooth right before turning one, so I just assumed that's how my kids would be. Never would I have to worry about getting nipped during nursing, since I don't make it much past 6 months. Wish me luck!

Here's my cutie in action

2 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

O-M, Addie and Hudson look soooo much a like. I can not believe those pictures.

lindsy said...

I love it when they start grabbing their toes! Thea doesn't care for her pacifier either. She just chews away at her fist. She's found her thumb a couple of times. Eek. I love the video of Addie dancing too. What a cute girl!