Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hudson Michael Grip

Yep, he's a boy!!! I'm still having a hard time saying "he" instead of "the baby" but I was able to keep this major secret right up till the end. I'm so proud of myself.


So he's a week old now, and I'm just getting around to posting... I'm sorry that this is so delayed, but I wanted to include the birth story and some good pics so here you go.


As most of you know, Hudson was breech so I was slotted for a c-section. I did try the version, but it didn't work. And it was MISERABLE!!! If you ever know of someone contemplating this procedure, tell them that it is painful! And wrong! I had often wondered if Max and Addie could harm him because he was head up, just by their accidentally jumping on my belly or using an elbow to prop themselves up and jabbing poor little baby, but the doctor's did way more stress to my belly than I ever thought possible. It was as if they were trying to rip my belly open to get the baby to turn. And I was totally sore/bruised for several days. Not fun, don't recommend it.


So I made an appointment for the c-section for Wednesday at 7:30 am. That meant we needed to be at the hospital at 5:30 am for prep. This should explain why I look so beautiful in all my pictures, plus I wasn't allowed to wear makeup so that just added to the beauty. All went well, and fast, and before I knew it Dr. Gariti was there getting ready to start surgery. I went into the operating room without Corey so they could do my spinal, then he was going to be brought in after I was good and numb. Too bad my spinal didn't work. I guess the only difference between a spinal and an epidural is the type of medication they use, and with a spinal they don't keep the tube in your back. Also, a spinal is totally numbing, where an epidural takes away pain, but often leaves some sensation so during surgery you can feel pressure and tugging, making it a little creepy. So I was given the spinal by the prettiest man I think I've ever seen (sorry Corey), and he stayed during the whole procedure, talking me through what was going on. I was getting a little nervous when they started scrubbing my belly and I could still feel it, but he reassured me that they would test me before starting anything. And test me they did! They use a little tool to pinch my skin, and it HURT! It felt like they were cutting into me! And I wasn't numb at all. Hmm, starting to get a little interesting. I was worried that they might have to knock me out, since the meds weren't working on me, but the anesthesiologist kept assuring me that they'd wait till things got worked out. He was a little baffled as to why the spinal wasn't working, because he kept saying that it wasn't very common, but they'd get it all figured out before they did anything. After about 20 minutes of waiting for the meds to take effect, they decided to go the epidural route. Hmmmmm, now I was getting more nervous. I had these stories running around in my head about women that had their epidural quit working halfway through labor, or only working on one side of their bodies, I even watched my sister go through the worst part of labor without meds because the epidural pulled out without them knowing it. But mine have always been good experiences so I went forth with faith. About 3 minutes after they did the epidural, I was dead numb!!! Seemed like I just had to be a little difficult. Poor Corey, he'd been waiting for them to go get him for about 40 minutes, much longer than he was told, but someone remembered him and went and explained things to him.

So they started cutting, and Corey watched as much as he could through the people crowded around me. I didn't feel anything, including any pressure or tugging, so I'm pretty sure the anesthesiologist doped me as much as he could, so that was good. Then I heard our baby. Dr Gariti held him up and asked Corey if he could see, and Corey was able to announce our boy. He got all teary, and I heard the baby cry and I started crying. I have never cried at things like that, but I worried more with this pregnancy than ever before, so it was such a relief to hear that beautiful sound.

So, on Wednesday April 22 at 8:26 am, Hudson Michael Grip was born. Weighing in at 9 lbs 1 oz, and measuring at 21 1/2 in, we have a perfect little man!


Here we are, minutes after he was born. I think I was still being stitched back together, but my epidural was working so well that I didn't feel a thing.


Again, in recovery, where I can finally hold my baby.


Proud daddy! Aren't they cute?



Max took over my hospital room, thought he owned the place. Doesn't he look big?!?




Addie is such a great big sister! Here she's showing Hudson the wonders of having a binky (I'm glad she doesn't miss hers too much).



My most faithful visitors. Addie, Grandma Kathy, and Max.



Addie and Corey came to pick us up from the hospital. She is so excited to have another brother to boss around.



Daddy, the night we came home, trying to keep things normal for the little ones. They love to wrestle their dad, because he doesn't complain too much when they kick him in the face or step too hard on his head. So now we're just one big happy family!!!


4 comments:

Jen I said...

Awww! Congratulations! I still regret not using Hudson as a middle name for Cash since he was born in NY in the Hudson valley. But then we had the twins in Wisconsin and were glad we didn't lock ourselves into to name after places they were born thing (um, Sheboygan?). Anyway, he looks like he has such a sweet perfect little face! That's one plus of a c-section, right? Hope the next few weeks are kind to you!

lindsy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
what a story, but I'm glad things went smoothly enough. I can't believe you knew the whole time and didn't tell anybody you were having a boy. Wow. He looks beautiful!

H. said...

I'm also impressed that you kept the secret so well, but you did a great job. He is soooo cute! I'm sorry that the surgery and recovery have been a bit challenging though. You have a CUTE family. You're entitled to some serious pride.

Clarks said...

We are so happy for you guys!! Having three kids of our own, I can only say enjoy the good times. Life does change, but it is a good change. We wish you guys the best and look forward to seeing you in the summer.