Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby

Our little girl turned 4 this weekend. For some reason, I am very nostalgic this year. I'm having a hard time remembering all of her 4 years, and that bothers me because that's supposed to happen much later in my life. I constantly have people (usually little old ladies) tell/warn me that it's over much too quickly and they will soon be grown and gone. I 'yeah, yeah' them, but I'm already starting to feel it. So I'll have to be better at documenting the lives of my kids so I don't miss out on too much when my brain gives way to my years.

We decided to attempt another water-play party, since Addie's birthday is the end of August. Surely that's all we'll want to be doing outside at this peak of summer, right? Wrong again!! TWICE I've been foiled by Mother Nature! We've suffered through two cold parties when we really needed the hot sunshine to play in. Oh, well. The risks of living in Wisconsin, I guess. Can't guarantee anything when it comes to weather.

Here we are, enjoying a BBQ lunch. At least it didn't rain


Doesn't Max look like a tough guy? Don't mess with him!




Here's how Hudson spent most of the party... zzzzz!

As did Baby Julia, guess the mild weather was just too soothing (plus she sleeps for her mom all the time!)
One thing we didn't give up on (no sprinklers or pool, though). Fortunately, all the kids just wanted to throw the balloons onto the grass to pop them. Anyone realise how hard it is to fill up water balloons? Even with a hose attachment, you still have to tie them off. What a pain!!
Some got into the toss game...
Finally I wised up. Just do cupcakes and let Addie and her 8 year old cousin, Sully, decorate them however they wanted.

And they were a hit!! I did fill them (thanks Jen for the idea!) so I guess I did have a little more work than I needed, but they were tasty!


Never one to be neat, Max got cake and ice cream all over!
Gwen captured the way most everyone was eating... two fisted!

My little girl was so gracious over her gifts. She even got up after opening each one to hug her friend that brought her a present (well, about 80% of the time, after all she is a four-year-old)

Grandma Kathy brought the best present, a surprise of her and Sully showing up from Minnesota for the party!! Even Corey was in the dark, it was great seeing his confusion and delight to run into family when he came home from work :)


Max and Kevin, BFF's. Doesn't this look like trouble?



Grandma uncharacteristically waited till Addie's actual birthday on Sunday before letting her open her presents.


What a treat to have an older cousin to play with all weekend long. Thanks Sully!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Marci your kids are so CUTE and they are growing up way too fast! Max looks just like a little Corey to me. You guys need to come visit. HA traveling with 3 kids does not sound like fun. I'm enjoying catching up on your blog. Fantastic pictures!

The Gray Gang said...

Thanks for inviting us to the party! It was a good one, despite the weather!
This is what i've listened to all morning...
max house?
max?
max house?
(I think it is because I keep telling Kevin that max is at his house.