Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bad mom, good wife

I'm a bad mommy. Wouldn't you think that by the third baby, I'd have it down pat? Yeah, not so around here. I often prided myself on my several 'nevers' in child-rearing, such as never having to take a child to the hospital, never letting my kids be sunburned, never cutting a child while clipping nails, etc. Well, in one fell swoop I lost my status.

With Hudson being born breech, he had to have an ultrasound to check out his hips. So, off to Children's Hospital we went. I was counting my blessing as I was sitting in the waiting room, watching all the kids with all sorts of visible problems and holding my perfectly healthy baby boy (there was a sign asking that there be no eating or drinking in the room in consideration of the patients that were fasting for tests -- so sad!) So, not too bad, but I was still at the hospital with my child. Everything was normal, by the way.

The next day, we decided to hang out outside. It was a beautiful day, so we filled the kiddie pool and Dad and the kids went 'swimming' while I caught up on some housework. A few minutes into their playing, I noticed that Hudson was sitting in his swing in the shade but his toes were swinging into a little sun. So I put him further back into the shade of the tree. He slept all afternoon, and we periodically shifted him back further and further so he wouldn't get burned. Our friend, Jenny, was in town for a wedding so she and her 2 kids stopped by for a couple hours. We were outside all day long, and near the end of the afternoon, I saw that Max's shoulders were turning a little pink. I slapped some sunscreen on him, and we kept playing. After Jenny left, I left to do some grocery shopping. When I came back, I saw that ALL THREE of my kids were burned!!! What the heck?!? I understand Max and Addie because I am never diligent with the sunscreen, but Hudson?? He was in the shade all day long!! Here's a picture of my poor baby (the other two weren't too bad).


I felt especially bad when his skin started peeling, but what do you do?

Two days later, I was clipping Hudson's nails and CUT him. He bled, he cried, I failed.

On a better note, I've been trying to be a good wife. Corey started a job this week, so he was feeling like last week was his last week of freedom. His friend called and asked if he'd like to go salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, but since I'd already said he could go golfing the next day he wasn't sure what I'd say. Of course, babe, you deserve it (I love salmon, so this was an easy sacrifice). Besides, I decided that two days in a row without Corey for several hours at a time would help condition me to handling things on my own this week. And it's working out that way.

Here he is with his prize! We ate great that night, and we have several more dinners waiting in the freezer. Thanks Cody!!

Cody's bro-in-law, Cody, Corey, and Cody's Dad... all with fish! Good day.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Join the club! Only I'm only a part member. The bad mom part. I think that you are handling all 3 and busy husband beautifully :)

Unknown said...

Hello friend! It sounds like things are going good. What job did Corey get? I think you are an awesome and patient mom! I was thinking about you guys during the 4th of July. We had a blast camping with you last year! Funny how so many things change in one year! BTW, we may be making a visit to Milwaukee in September for a wedding. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

The Gray Gang said...

Hey marci! Would you be so kind as to e-mail me the picture of all of them with their fish!? Cody forgot his camera, so this is the only picture documenting the awesome fishing trip! Thanks! jessie(dot)ann(dot)gray(at)hotmail(dot)com
And P.S. I think your a Great Mom! If I had to fess up to things I've accidently done to poor Kevo, I'd look worse! Good thing kids are so tough!