Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Nauvoo

Sorry, I have been remiss with my postings lately. But I have been busy doing things I should be posting about, so I'll try to catch up.

Thanksgiving in Nauvoo, what a good idea. I was not really on board, because Thanksgiving is about family gathering and feasting. At least that's what I believe. But being away from family, Corey didn't want to waste away the weekend by sitting on the couch watching football (I should be grateful, I know). And Nauvoo in November is so private! Very few visitors, so we had many attractions all to ourselves.

Here we are with the oxen. 2500 lbs of peaceful animals, still a little scary.


The statue of Joseph and Hyrum at the end of the Trail of Tears (0r hope, I forget).


Addie and I in front of John Taylor's property. Since we are decendants, we felt a bit of ownership and pride. We even signed the book in his home as a great-great granddaughter, and a great-great-great granddaughter (Addie's excited to meet him in heaven, funny that she is starting to get some deeper doctrine)


Again, we had Carthage Jail all to ourselves. We got there at 4:50, so we had the last tour of the evening. And it was full dark, so it was easy to transport ourselves back to the actual event. Very powerful.



Corey watched the kids while I did a session, and paid the price. Kids don't like killing time when it's 40* out, and they've missed their naptime. While I enjoyed 2 hours of peace, Corey never got his chance. He didn't want me (and the kids) to have to go through the same experience the next day, so we went down to Carthage instead.


We had a wonderful time, and were able to teach the kids (Addie, at least) about how people lived and loved the gospel in different ways than we know now.



0 comments: